About the Position:
If you are passionate about creating programs that help people bike, walk, and use transit more often, this position is for you. As a TDM (Transportation Demand Management) and Programs Specialist, you will manage projects by designing, implementing, and evaluating active transportation and TDM programs. This position is based in Alta’s headquarters in Portland, OR.
A day in the life of this position might include setting up a neighborhood discussion group to learn about what messages and support would help people try out biking, walking, and transit instead of driving; working with our graphic design team to create beautiful maps and print materials; and writing a survey to find out how program participants have changed their travel behavior in response to our program.
The types of programs you manage may include, but are not limited to: individualized marketing (aka SmartTrips) campaigns; media campaigns; bicycle/pedestrian safety education; employer TDM programs; outreach campaigns; walking/biking events; open streets events; and Safe Routes to School programs. We don’t expect candidates to already have experience manage all these types of projects, but we do need you to have transferable experience managing campaigns, programs, and/or outreach in some capacity. For more details on the day-to-day job responsibilities, see this post.
About Alta Planning + Design’s Programs Team:
Alta Planning + Design is North America’s leading multi-modal transportation firm that specializes in planning, design, implementation, and programs for bicyclists and pedestrians. Founded in 1996, Alta has more than 200 staff in 30 offices across North America.
Alta’s Programs Team is a unique specialty team that works with public agencies to reach out directly to people and support behavior change in transportation. Some of our work focuses on mode shift (e.g. helping people walk, bike, and/or take transit more often), and some of our work focuses on improving safety (e.g. helping people who walk, bike, and drive do so more safely). Our work is unique, creative, and multi-disciplinary. You’ll be joining a small, focused, high-functioning team that works with other Alta staff all over North America.
What you’ll need to succeed:
- A passion for our work
- Great project management and work planning skills
- Outstanding written and verbal communication skills
- A commitment to great client service
- 5-12 years of experience in a similar or transferable project management role
The following are not required, but may help you succeed:
- Proven experience designing and/or implementing events, classes, workshops, or campaigns
- Knowledge of behavior change theory and/or social marketing
- Experience with social media and/or traditional media
- Native Spanish proficiency
- Experience developing content for materials such as brochures and newsletters
What we offer you:
- A positive and experienced existing team to support you as you manage projects
- Cross-training on aspects of the job you will aren’t yet familiar with
- Interesting, meaningful work that will challenge and reward you
- An involved and supportive manager
- Opportunities to represent Alta at conferences
- A commitment to your professional development
- Outstanding benefits package, including health insurance, 401K match, transit and bikeshare subsidies, wellness benefits, a bike room, and on-site showers
The range for this position is quite large, because we are willing to adapt the position for the right candidate within a fairly wide range of experience. The current salary range is envisioned at $65,000 - $85,000, not including annual bonuses of up to 10% and annual performance-based raises.
If you have questions about this job, contact firstname.lastname@example.org. If you’ve decided this is a good fit for you, please complete the job application here. We look forward to getting to know you!